Monday, July 4, 2011

El Pollo Taco

It's Day 3 of Taco Week, and it's time to get cookin!!!!

Today's lesson is chicken tacos. There are many ways to make this tantalizing Mexican finger food, but I'll just share two of my favorite. The first is the easier version that mostly requires assembly and very little cooking, and the second a more complicated recipe from scratch. We'll start small and go from there.

Rotisserie chicken tacos: Even if you don't know the difference between the oven and the dishwasher you cannot fail with this recipe. I like to call this my Sandra Lee concoction; these are so simple you can even make them in a microwave! (But I recommend the stove). There are 4 main ingredients: store bought rotisserie chicken, tortillas of your choosing, shredded cheese, and salsa; and lettuce or sour cream if you so desire. Simply melt the cheese on the tortilla (using the microwave, stove, or oven) and add the fresh rotisserie chicken (I like to shred mine). Then top it off with your favorite garnishes, my favorite is fresh corn and caramelized onions, and you have a healthy, 5-minute meal. Watch out Rachel Ray, I think I just kicked your 30-minute meal's butt!
If you're more of a Martha/Paula Deen fan and not that into the whole fast and easy ingredient-assembly shtick, I have a slightly more complicated chicken taco for you to try out! This recipe is still super simple, so don't get too excited future Cordon Blue students. To make this low fat taco you will need two medium chicken breasts half an onion, one yellow bell pepper (or serrano peppers for extra spice), and the other basic ingredients listed above. Saute the peppers in olive oil for 2 minutes and then add the (cubed) raw chicken and half an onion (diced). Saute on medium for around 10 minutes, depending on your stove/pan... until it is cooked thoroughly (I don't want any of ya'll to come down with salmonella!). Add salt and pepper to taste while the chicken cooks, and garlic powder or soy sauce for extra flavor.
Simply dress your taco up with all the other fixins, and you have a low-fat quick and easy fresh meal, all in hopefully under 30 minutes (so I can beat Rachel Ray again).

Remember to send me your photos and recipes before friday if you want to be featured on hungryheretic.com!

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures makes me more hungry, I am actually craving for foods like this.

    Römertopf

    ReplyDelete