Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gene's Po Boys

It's Day 2 of Po Boy week and the Mythbusters are out in full force. Along with Mahoney's, Guy's, Domilise's, and Parkway are a few well known dives where you can find authentic New Orleans Po Boys. Among these dives the most famous is Gene's Po Boys. Located on the corner of Elysian Fields and St. Claude (just before you enter the Bywater), this bright pink building is hard to miss. Those who frequent this lovely Po Boy joint will tell you that there are only two things you should get here, Hot Sausage with cheese or Philly Cheese Steak. Although I'm a huge fan of hot sausage po boys I decided to get the Philly Cheese Steak instead. I wish I could say I made this decision because I was trying to step out of my sausage box and try something new, but in actuality I couldn't bring myself to dish out $7.99 for a hot sausage po boy. Hot sausage is one of my favorite po boys for 2 reasons: 1. It's tasty and 2. It's CHEAP! The corner store near my house (which I will be writing about later this week) sells a huge one on a whole loaf of french bread for only 4 bucks. But apparently Gene's must have some spectacular hot sausage because people swear by it.Unfortunately, I was not the biggest fan of the Philly Cheese Steak. It was good, but it didn't really taste much like a po boy to me. I still haven't made my decision on whether or not I like Gene's, but I do know that I'm not a fan of their up-charge. Part of why I am willing to pay for the pricier po boys at the spots listed above is their ambience and unique twists on traditional New Orleans specialties, but with a few folding chairs, fluorescent lights and nothing on the menu that sounded too crazy their prices seemed a but high.
Between this post and the one from yesterday I must sound SUPER cheap; but if you look back to my previous posts you'll see that I don't mind spending a pretty penny on food. However, that being said a po boy is not just any food, it's a sandwich a "POOR BOY," hence it is meant to be cheap! It's like paying 6 bucks for McDonald's fries at a restaurant next door, it's just not right. Why buy that one when you can get the same thing for cheaper? Not that all these po boys are the same, not by any means... but sometimes it's questionable whether the more pricey po boys are worth twice the cheap ones. I still haven't heard anyone's votes for their favorite yet, so let me know before the week is over!

Gene's Po-Boys on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment