Sunday, February 6, 2011

American Sector!!!!


I am the luckiest girl in the world. After posting about American Sector's lovely Happy Hour on Friday I couldn't stop myself from going and enjoying some Sloppy Joe sliders. Little did I know that one of my managers is a follower of this very blog. Just a few weeks ago my manager Kyo switched over to American Sector, and after reading my post he hooked me up!!!


Aside from the succulent pulled pork sliders and tasty alcoholic beverages, my friends and I tried 5 different dishes that were mindblowingly good. I'll start with my favorite, which not surprisingly revolves entirely around pork. It's called the Perfect Pig Po Boy, and it is the Sector's version of a traditional Banh Mi, so obviously I'm a die hard fan. It has five different cuts of pork, all served hot with pickled vegetables on french bread. It's definitely on my top five list of best sandwiches I've ever had. It had the perfect savory-sweet balance. Truly spectacular.

My second favorite dish also is a piglet focused masterpiece, the Pork Cheeks. I was a little skeptical at first, but let me tell you, cheeks are incredible! These juicy hunks of meat were thoroughly salted, slow cooked, and paired with sweet corn bread and garlicy black eyed peas. It was the epitome of comfort food; which is saying a lot because we had meatloaf too!!



I've never been a meatloaf fan, but this 1950's delicacy was almost tied with the pork cheeks. The meat was absolutely smothered in a delicious sweet ketchup sauce and paired with green beans, brown gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. Definitely not like the meatloaf I remember from childhood.




But wait, there's more! A lot more! Kyo also made sure I tried American Sector's famous hot dog. My friend Jenn and I have been talking about this hot dog for months. It's HUGE. And unlike many people our age, we both genuinely enjoy hot dogs. So what could be better than a giant hot dog with grilled onions and cheese?!?!?!?!?


There is an answer to that question, and it is Chicken Fried Steak. Now I've had chicken fried steak before and it's been good, but it's never been this GOOD. For starters, their white gravy was incredible, a key component to making some good fried steak. To top that off they sprinkled the dish with bacon lardons (my favorite garnish). Together with the rice, greens, and mushrooms- there are just no words to describe it. It's just one of those things that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside (and stuffed because it's so good you won't be able to stop eating it)!

All the dishes I tried were equally soothing and delicious. The chefs at American Sector have somehow managed to recreate nostalgic classic dishes, usually found in school cafeterias and turn them into something spectacular. American Sector has proved to me once again why it is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. My dining experience on Friday blew me away, and I have Kyo to thank for most of that... it's good to have friends in high places.

PS The leftovers were the best breakfast ever the next morning! We devoured everything in a matter of seconds, it was magical.

The American Sector on Urbanspoon

2 comments: