Monday, January 17, 2011

The Feast Continues...

As I watch Anthony Bordain eat his way through Dubai, procrastinating from doing my homework, I find it incredibly appropriate to update this blog yet again; giving myself a slightly more acceptable excuse for procrastination... or at least that's what I tell myself.

This long weekend turned into a wonderfully decadent food-filled extravaganza, and today was no exception. To give myself some culinary credit, I actually made a delightful breakfast this morning for me and my roommate (and it had nothing to do with soba noodles or string cheese)! I redeemed myself from that atrocity this morning with a healthy meal of poached eggs (my favorite) served with turkey bacon asparagus.



Poached eggs have been my food foe for many years now but I finally achieved the soft but firm outside, and nice runny yolk. Usually I end up making egg drop soup when I attempt to poach eggs, but I recently learned that vinegar is the secret ingredient; thank you google.




We made sure to keep this breakfast light an healthy because just a few hours later we went to the West Bank to Hong Kong Market's Pho Danh #4 in Gretna, which has the best pho in town.




For the readers who don't know what Pho is, have no fear, you will soon. Pho is a traditional Vietnamese beef soup eaten at all times of day. The broth is brewed over the course of at least 24 hours and it is served with vermicelli noodles, bean sprouts, cilantro, lime, jalapeno, thai basil and brisket, as well as many other meat varieties. Then if that already isn't delicious enough it is topped off with Sriracha and Hoisin sauce (and fish sauce if you are a little more daring). Incredible! Plus, it is also a great hangover/flu cure.

If you are willing to take any of my food advice please listen to me now, TRY PHO! Look it up, wherever you are there is bound to be a pho joint nearby and if you are human you will like it.




Along with the traditional brisket that comes in beef pho, I decided to order mine with tripe (stomach) and soft tendon. I have had both before but I forgot how good tendon was! The tripe not so much though. It just has no real taste and is the same consistency as a ziplock bag.




Along with the pho we also could not pass up Pad Kee Mao, thai "Drunken Noodles." This is one of my favorite thai dishes for two very good reasons. 1. Flat noodles are the best type of noodle there is. No question. Between the soft and chewy texture and its' wonderfully porous ability to absorb sauces and spices, it is number one in my book. 2. Thai Basil is the herb of gods. It smells good, it tastes good, and it goes well with everything (especially ice cream). The only annoying thing about it is that it seems to be hard for me to grow. I've managed to kill my thai basil plant twice in one year, not a good track record.


No comments:

Post a Comment